Friday, August 27, 2010

The Only One We Need


My laptop was stolen from my luggage on a recent overseas trip (along with a rather colourful maxi dress I bought from Macy's. What strange taste my robber had! What were they thinking as they were rifling through my possessions: 'Books, boring! I could sell this Mac on eBay. Ooh! Here's a nice dress!') and so this blog has been sadly sadly neglected. But I am back with a vengeance, friends!

I know you think I'm going to blab on about the new season of Mad Men or yabber about the state of the country's hung parliament, but no! I'm going to pay homage to a book that I have become strangely devoted to. One that I see on the shelf and smile. One that gives me comfort in uncertain times. One that I would save in a fire. Brace yourselves: it's the Low GI Vegetarian Cookbook. I know, I know, you think I've cracked it - let me explain: We've recently moved states and despite owning a shelf full of great cookbooks (both meat friendly and meat free), we were short on space and this was the only one that made the cut.

Written by Professor Jennie Brand-Miller (the scientist who developed the Glycemic Index) and others, it gives us meat abstainers some great pointers about how to get the most nutrition from food and then launches into the best 80 vego recipes that have ever existed. Truly, each one is a winner. My fella (a pretty committed carnivore) and I constantly sit and marvel about how each dish seems to trump earlier ones in the taste department, smug in the knowledge that we've just eaten something pretty healthy, too!

My mother, who remarked that all vegos should be 'taken out and shot' when I 'came out' to her, ate the Paella and then emailed the next day to ask for the recipe. Two other friends whose constant cry goes something like 'it ain't a meal unless there's meat' asked for seconds of the Spicy Moroccan Chickpea and Lentil Soup. And having never wanted to eat dahl before (it's such a cliche! It looks like slop!) I relented and cooked the Red Lentil Dahl with Spiced Basmati Rice and nearly passed out with pleasure.

Highly recommended for all vegos who are a little bored with tofu and goat's cheese (although they make an occasional appearance), as well as herbivores and carnivores who own way too many cookbooks!

No comments:

Post a Comment