Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Waste Not - Want Not


I was slumped on the couch the other night watching MasterChef, frowning about a few things -- the way George Calombaris eats, (Please George -- there is a camera on you. Lips meet when we eat!) the amount of crying, (it's not Cook or Die, people) and what happens to all of the leftover food? On many cooking and lifestyle shows, the crew are famous for wolfing down each dish as soon as the director yells ‘cut’! But what happens when they’ve made five of Gary’s Beef Wellingtons? And one of them don’t look so great? (Not that I can get all Judgy McJudgerton on MasterChef – I’m always throwing out wilted celery purchased in good faith, that could now be tied in a bow.) I needn’t have wasted my energy on those down-turned smile muscles, as MasterChef have teamed up with OzHarvest to distribute the leftover food to the needy. Cool, hey? Ronni Kahn established the organisation after working in the food industry, and lamenting the amount of wasted product. OzHarvest (and many other similar charities) had to work with governments to amend legislation to allow them to do their good work, and as long as a few conditions are met, it’s win win for everyone concerned. I’m glad that MasterChef is ahead of public opinion on this one, so that I can get back to furrowing my brow every time George puts some food near his lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment